Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ignorance is decrepitness

This blog is in response to comments made on an article "The Most Dangerous Man in American Healthcare".   Here is a blog written by a doctor telling people that we have found the cure to all your diseases.  We have found the fountain of youth.  Immediately after reading, comments are made focusing on the few and rare injuries in CrossFit.  Now, in my experience I have made excuses for these negative reactions. Sometimes it's jealousy, sometimes fear, but mostly ignorance.  CrossFit is extremely difficult to explain.  How does one put into words the comradeship, the internal drive to improve one's physical ability, the pride in our battle scars.  CrossFit is a unique experience that doesn't latch on immediately.  It took me a year to "get it".  Before that pinnacle moment in 2009 sitting on the bleachers in Aromas I did my workouts, recorded my times, weights, and reps in my journal, I bought my t-shirts; but when I got it, I got it.  Explaining CrossFit is like explaining love to a frying pan.  One has to experience it and not just once, but over a long period of time.

Here is my response to the comments made on the aforementioned article regarding CrossFit injuries:

"Just like main stream society, there are idiots in CF too.  Injuries happen with every sport and CF is no different.  A CF athlete may push his or her body beyond its capacity for the sake of the win (wikipedia NFL athletes, college baseball players, etc.).  These types of human beings are the elite, the few, in all of our society. Then there are people who are simply dumb about fitness.  They don't listen to their trainer.  They ignore the warnings and show up to their CF gym 7 days a week, then run a marathon, or play 3 games of soccer on a 100 degree day.  The average, below average, or intelligent CFer will NOT get rhabdo.  They may get hurt every once in a while, but I'd rather break my skin on a 24""" jump than fall while getting out of the shower because I have no balance or strength to hold my body up.  This is a sport that EVERYONE can do.  It makes you breathe, sweat, and sometimes bleed.  BUT it also saves lives.  CrossFit gives people a reason to live and reminds us that getting old doesn't have to equal a life in a nursing home.   Is Glassman the most dangerous man in American Healthcare?  I don't know.  What I do know is his fitness model has gotten me off every Rx drug I was on.  No more asthma, no more eczema, no more chronic upper respiratory infections, no more seasonal allergies.  It works for me and it just might work for you if you give it a chance."

Now, go out there and sign up for a class, buy a ticket to your regional CrossFit competition, fly out to CA and watch my 54 year old father-in-law sweat in the sun as he competes in the CrossFit Games Master's Division.  Or don't.  But don't tell me it doesn't work until you've tried it and REALLY tried it. 

1 comment:

  1. "...like explaining love to a frying pan." Now THAT'S some good writing. Thanks for visiting the blog.

    --bingo

    ReplyDelete